link SUSE voice guidelines
We are experts, but not bossy or cocky
- We are a company with over 25 years of experience, sound like it.
- We know what we do, and we know how to do it best. However, we give our users the respect they deserve by treating them as equals and convey to them that they are in control.
- We speak plain English, we don't use unnecessarily complicated words.
We are friendly, but not informal or patronizing
- Our voice is human, it is friendly and warm, yet clear, concise, and professional.
- Don't cross the line making jokes. Be friendly not funny.
- Unsolicited help can sometimes seem patronizing or demeaning.
- Respect our users, their different cultures and beliefs. Avoid gender-specific words when possible.
We are transparent, but not blunt
- Speak honestly to our customers, even when we've made a mistake. We are an opensource company and transparency is our foundation.
- Users may make mistakes, don't point fingers. Give options and data to help the user choose the best alternative.
- Be direct, not insensitive.
We are adaptive, but not reckless
- We adapt, you succeed. Adapting to our customer’s needs is what makes us SUSE.
- Speak with openness to adapt. Offer options to let the user make the final decision.
- Be flexible when offering support but not hasty or brash. Remember there are more than 1 (or ten) customers to concider when offering changes.